Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children
Children’s of Alabama opened its new Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children (BRHFC) on August 4, 2012. The new, replace-in-place facility includes all new operating rooms, emergency department, 332 patient beds (including 48 neonatal bassinets), radiology and imaging, NICU, pharmacy, lab, and a new central energy plant.
As the third largest pediatric hospital in the country, the new hospital will accommodate projected growth in patient volume, anticipated medical technology needs, planned consolidation of pediatric services, and a family-centered design that will enhance patient and family comfort. BRHFC was the first healthcare facility in Alabama to be LEED Gold certified due to its “green” design and use of sustainable, energy efficient, and environmentally responsible materials.
- Architect: HKS, Inc. and GA Architectural Studio
- Construction Manager: Hoar Construction with BE&K
- Project Manager: KLMK Group
As the technology consultant, EDI provided planning and design services for the following systems:
- Structured communications cabling – data, telephone, biomedical, CATV, and outside plant infrastructure
- Server room
- Nurse call
- Overhead paging
- Audio-visual systems – info displays, electronic signage, presentation, kiosks, patient hospitality, digital OR’s
- LAN and WLAN
- Wireless personal communications
- Distributed Antenna System
780,000 SF hospital expansion